"People Love Us On Google"200+ Google reviews
New patients Welcome! Extended hours!     BOOK ONLINE NOW
Can Flossing Reduce Bad Breath?
June 11, 2020  |  Dental Health

Can Flossing Reduce Bad Breath?

Even if you brush every day, brushing alone is not sufficient to extract plaque from every surface of your teeth. It is estimated that only 65% of your teeth get cleaned with brushing. It means that at least once a day, the remaining 35% must be cleaned by flossing.

How do you get rid of bad breath after flossing?

When you floss, you protect the sides of your teeth from bacteria and food particles. These two ingredients facilitate the onset of halitosis (persistent bad breath), which is why removing them will purify your overall breath on a daily basis.

As a bonus, the chance of developing tooth decay and gum disorders- two conditions that can also exacerbate bad breath symptoms, decreases drastically.

Flossing and Bad Breath: A Clear Correlation?

The trick to removing bad breath by flossing is to make it a committed part of your routine oral care. This starts with picking the right floss for you.

Some patients who have been undergoing orthodontics may not be able to floss as quickly if they don’t use one that is slim enough to pass through the brackets and wires. The effect is excessive snapping and shredding of floss when you thread it between your teeth.

You should be flossing once a day. It’s a great time to do this before bed because your mouth doesn’t produce as much saliva as you sleep. This ensures the bacteria on the sides of your teeth will be more likely to grow and create foul odors all night long. Therefore, removing food particles and keeping the teeth clean will ensure that bacteria don’t get bedding ground.

What’s the Correct Way of Flossing?

Start by pulling out at least 12 to 18 inches of floss, so you’ve got enough to wrap around your fingers. When you have a small section between your fingers, start to floss off your visible teeth. Thread it carefully and slip it against your enamel. As you get further into your mouth, wrap floss around your finger parallel to the side on which you are flossing.

Do it for two minutes straight and ensure a vertical movement of the floss thread. You’ll find a significant difference in your breath. However, if your bad breath still persists, this could be a sign of an underlying oral disease and calls for urgent attention from a dentist in Didsbury AB.

You can get the best dentist for preventive care in Didsbury AB near you with just one click! Do you need emergency dental care?

Book your emergency dentist appointment in Didsbury with Didsbury smiles dental.


We Are Officially OPEN!

Didsbury Smiles Dental is thrilled to be offering full dental services to our patients and community. We've missed you!

If you had an appointment that was cancelled due to COVID-19 or are due for a dental check up or cleaning, please contact us right away to have your appointment booked.

To see how we are going the extra mile to keep you and your family safe, check out our COVID-19 Protection Plan.